It’s the last day with the fam.
I’ve tried so hard to be patient. I stayed home almost all day with them—just me, my Mom, and Emily, our angelic super-nanny. Emily has worked in our house for almost nine months now and she’s still going strong. I didn’t know they made women like these any more. They are obviously a different breed. I thought for sure my Mom was the last of that kind but at twenty-two years of age, Emily has completely proved me wrong. The Kriwiel’s thank the Lord for Emily.
But as I was saying, today is my last day with my family. I’ve been at home the last few days trying to enjoy what few moments I have left with them. That’s a lot harder than you would think.
This is what the afternoon looked like: I sat outside with Emily watching Silas, Elias and Emmie play in my car. The honking was very loud; I’m sure the neighbors were disturbed. But hey, its my last day… let them have their fun. After and hour of ignoring the obnoxious horn of my freshly cleaned car, I decided that enough was enough.
I walked over to the car and started pulling kids out one by one. They had found my secret stash of gum.
They enjoyed the gum.
Then the gum found the carpet.
Then I found the gum.
Then I quietly grumbled to myself…”Its my last day”
And I quickly removed the gum.
We then went inside.
They started coloring.
They wanted drinks.
They found the water.
The water found the table.
I found the water all over the table.
I asked Silas, in a less than thrilled voice, “Why did you spill the water?”
He replied, “because I wanted to.”
I then quietly informed him that his answer was wrong, and that he should now walk to his room and come up with a better answer. (I may have prodded him to his room with a kind-hearted spanking)
An hour later when I returned to the living room, where I had laid out everything I was taking to college.
I found Emmie.
Emmie had found all ten boxes of bar soap that Mom bought me for college.
The bar soap had now found her mouth…and the floor…and my stuff…
This perturbed me.
But nonetheless, I quietly began to pick up bar after bar of soap as Emmie scampered off with my secret stash of Jellybeans.
I watched her leave, cursing now. Cursing the Jellybean gods. Tears welled in my eyes as she giggled and skipped off to go destroy the rest of the world.
She was so cute.
So destructive…
All in one tiny, diapered, little person.
It was that moment I realized that I didn’t mind the fact that Elias spit his gum out in my car, and that Silas dumped his water out all over the table on purpose or that Emmie is the most destructive force known to this planet… because today…
Today was my last day with them.
My roommates probably won’t spit their gum out in my car, spill their water on purpose, or chew on my bar soap, and I’m okay with that.
But I just might miss the treacherous trio of:
Elias William (3), Silas Eyobel (3), and the ring leader…the destroyer of all things sacred
…Emmie Maurine (2).
They will be missed